• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Weightloss

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyMontana20012

Greenlighter
Well I have 2 goals for myself over a 13 week period. Drop 20 pounds, and dunk a basketball 8). If anyone here has helpful tips for doing either I would greatly appreciate it. I am 5`7 by the way.

Current weight: 182

I have started a program called air alert for jumping ability and also a quick cardio workout.

I am currently only touching the rim so i will need about a foot of vertical increase.

I want to weigh 130 by the beginning of summer. I am currently 150ish. I've been this weight for a few years now so it's kind of a struggle to lose this weight I've been meaning to lose for awhile. It's just that extra chub I would love to get rid of. It'd take me from average to skinny, which is what i want. I work out every day so I'm guessing its just how much food i eat.

I could dunk a basketball in high school but now I'm crippled... I was able to by playing basketball daily and when I was close, just trying to do it repeatedly, that is the only way you'll develop the muscles. I was 5'10 though, you got a steep hill to climb if you want to dunk at 5'7... are you at least still growing?

^^ I`m not sure I was ever growing LOL. The hill is quite steep I kno but I am blessed to play basketball 4 times a week so while mayb a stretch, its still feasable to dunk.

Current weight 179

I have found that moving my laptop upstairs to a desk with a mouse, instead of having it on my couch next to the kitchen has helped me with not eating thousands of calories after getting high, as I am upstairs away from food.

Cellulite: I'm Annihilating It.

I a 25-year old female with a fairly lean figure. This leanness owes more to my height than anything, I suppose. But I have cellulite. Do you??

But even when I was disgustingly skinny, I would have cellulite on my thighs. I noticed it increases whenever I am in the United States. It is not very noticeable, only when I squeeze it.

Now, there are some common factors associated with cellulite. I took a basic explanation from wikipedia:

Hormonal factors

Hormones play a dominant role in the formation of cellulite. Although people believe Estrogen is the most important hormone and that it seems to initiate and aggravate cellulite, there has been no reliable clinical evidence to support such a claim. Other hormones including insulin, the catecholamines adrenaline and noradrenaline, thyroid hormones, and prolactin are all believed to participate in the development of cellulite.[1]

Predisposing factors

Several genetic factors have been shown to be necessary for cellulite to develop. Gender, race, biotype,[3] a hormone receptor allele that determines the receptor number and sensitivity, distribution of subcutaneous fat, and predisposition to circulatory insufficiency have all been shown to contribute to cellulite.[1]

Diet

Diet has been shown to affect the development and amount of cellulite. Excessive amounts of fat, carbohydrates, salt, or too little fiber can all contribute to increased cellulite.[citation needed]

Lifestyle

Smoking, lack of exercise, fatty/starchy foods, and sitting or standing in a single position for long periods have all been correlated with an increase in cellulite. A high stress lifestyle will cause an increase in the catecholamine hormones. [1]

Fashion

Within the last 40-50 years women went from loose underwear around the thighs to tight underwear going across the middle of the buttock. Underwear that has tight elastic across the buttock limits blood flow, encouraging cellulite to form. Wearing thongs, boyshorts, or sleeping naked can reduce the impact underwear plays on cellulite's development. [4]

I've been tending to ignore cellulite because it doesn't interfere with my being, but recently I decided, if I can do something about it, why not? Moreover, my grandmother used to be skinny and now has gigantic Spanish hips/thighs. My mother is the midpoint between me and my grandma-- relatively shapely, but beginning to become large. I decided this would not be my fate.

I tried two non-exercise things that worked (this will be tried in the coming month).

Vigorous Massage with Spiced Oil

Without any change in diet or routine (I do manual labor and exercise regularly, but not so much with the legs), I decided to use some spiced oil. A light oil, composed of jojoba/sweet almond oil, as well as some spices like mustard, pepper, etc (I bought it in India) was applied to the thighs. Everyday I would rub my thigh's length vigorously about 50 times per thigh. It's a good way to wake up in the morning. When I had no oil (out of town, etc.) I would do a dry massage.

This showed a very visible change in both thigh size (lol) and cellulite-- within a few days! I also noticed that my legs would get tired less easily.

Less Grains

I mentioned in another thread here that I was reading a manual about piggery, and saw that free-range pigs must be fed grain sometime before they are sold so their fat can saturate or harden. I figured this might be the case among humans as well! My grandma often tells me that no one she knew had cellulite when she was younger, not even her mom or aunts! There are dietary references as well in ayurveda (which I practice, to an extent):

The ancient Ayurvedic surgeon, Shushruta, identified a heavy, saturated type of fat tissue he called Vasa. When this saturated fat interacts with digestive impurities (Ama), the result is cellulite.

Cellulite is a localized effect. It's a heavy, sticky substance that sits in the fat cells and is very difficult to eliminate. The longer it sits there, the harder it is to remove.

So I embarked on a little experiment.

I am a vegetarian so I would actually end up eating a lot of grain. I love rice, so I'd go for a healthy serving of both rice and veggies every meal. Recently I decided to cut out the rice/grain from my diet. To make sure it had not to do with calorie reduction, I kept drinking a lot of high-calorie drinks (rich cacao as well as alcohol ;)). I also stopped the daily massages.

The results were as quick as the massage experiment! My thighs are much smaller and the cellulite is disappearing too. I've started eating grains again slowly, although I know now how light I feel without grains so I think I will never go back to being a large rice eater.

Now I'm sure if I do massage, dietary measures, and exercise all at the same time, I'll have awesome thighs =D It's funny for me because I've never been a person with "body goals", but I realize it's kinda fun!

Please feel free to post your experiences with cellulite. I'd also love to see exercises for my next "phase"!

I remember you telling me about that self massage thing B. I'd like to do it, but I'm lazy =D I'd like to think my ocassional 2 hour swedish-shiatsu massages would also reap the same benefits. I havent really paid much attention to the cellulite on my body...I'll report back later! :D

Also, could one use a variation on that spiced oil? Like substituting coconut oil for sweet almond oil. I love coconut oil.

^You can substitute coconut, for sure. But that stuff is pretty unctuous and heavy. You can heat it first to max out the circulation effect.

I much prefer the cooked coconut oil to the virgin stuff. Better smell, takes me back to the beach. Just got a shipment in, nom nom.

I don't think so-- about the massage. I get at least 2 massages a week, and the effect isn't the same. Unless you have a traditional hilot massage, where they really rub the living shit out of your legs.

Here is an example of how cellulite looks:

sn7_cellulitethigh.jpg

^^Hmmm...I love the smell of cooked coconut oil. And you're right, it smells so much better! How long do I heat my virgin oil stash?

I don't have to pinch the back of my thighs or ass to see cellulite. Both are behind me so I tend to ignore and accept it.
It took years to get there so I don't expect instant results to rid of it.

I don't want to spend money on "treatments" that only mask the problem temporarily AND I am not like to do any massage on a daily basis. Nice to hear that the spiced oil rub worked for you. I am lucky if I commit to basic personal hygiene before going to bed. LAZY!

I have a sample of this but have yet to use it. Has anyone tried it?
http://www.blissworld.com/product/cellulite/bliss+fatgirlslim.do

lowering BF will get rid of cellulite. Unfortunately with your female hormones, you might have to lower BF quite drastically to totally annihilate it. Your estrogen flowing through your veins really loves to hold onto whatever kind of fat it can get its grubby little kind/loving/motherly hands around. Its whats makes ya'll good for crankin' out babies and lots and lots of milk.

Also they recently discovered that you CAN spot target fat (this was thought to be the biggest myth of all in exercise science). Apparently, if you heat up an area it will burn fat at a disproportionate rate compared to other fat deposits. So, most of your cellulite fat is on your ass you say. Well maybe incorporate in 15-20 minutes of cardio that targets your ass within your regular cardio.

I had a suspicion that was true. I started biking to work last summer, and I noticed that my legs (especially my quads) were getting just ripped, while the rest of me was losing fat much more slowly. Have you got a source for this by any chance Gaian? Just so that I can back up the claim when I pass it on.

here ya go

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/292/2/E394.pdf?ck=nck

from abstract said:
In conclusion, bloodflow and lipolysis are generally higher in SCAT adjacent to contracting
than adjacent to resting muscle irrespective of exercise intensity. Thus
specific exercises can induce “spot lipolysis” in adipose tissue.

Maybe I'll start doing cardio-navasana again. You guys ever checked this out? It does seem to shred up your core.

hold navasana for 5 breaths then lower for 5 breaths. Go back up. Lower. Repeat until you puke (hehehe:D).

this is navasana...it works more than just abs (but it really taxes the abs in order for the lower back not to curve). Some random dude not me in pic.
19a-Navasana.jpg

Biking to an extent. Stairs I think work well down there.

^^Hmmm...I love the smell of cooked coconut oil. And you're right, it smells so much better! How long do I heat my virgin oil stash?

If you're talking about making it all nice in the cooked way, it's a different process na, you have to make do with non-goodsmelling stuff :D Pero if you want to heat it for massage, put it in a (clean) incense burning well and heat it with a little candle for maybe 5 minutes and turn the fire off. You can heat it over a stove as well in a saucepan for a few mnutes, just be sure it won't burn.

The Official Weight Loss Thread - share your ideas, tips and suggestions here.

Hi,

I was taking an antidepressant for many years, now I stopped taking it.

It disabled a lot of my personal feelings and emotions. Even if they are difficult, I do not want to supress them anymore.

The bad thing, my wheight is increasing, thought I do not eat so much more now.

I want to take some time to loose lets say 10 - 15 kg.

Can anybody recommend anything ? I.e. Kat or so ...

Maybe, you have your own recipe...

Any advice is welcome - I have some experience , except opioids...

Thanks

Aversion therapy. Look at a photograph of yourself when you were heavier than you wanted to be. Associate every bite of unnecessary food (food that is not meant to sustain life, but instead give you pleasure) with that photograph. Never allow yourself the option of looking that way again. Also, look at your body nude daily so that you are able to clearly see the areas you want to improve. Doing this while exercising helps immensely because you are able to see anything that jiggles that you don't care to have jiggle.

Best of luck!

Get into cardio exercise and do it at least 3X or even 5X a week for at least 20-30 mins, or you can start by just going on 10-15min walks daily and work your way up, and start to run or ride a bike for at least a mile or more. Eat right and eat mainly fruits, vegetables, lean protein like chicken/fish, and whole grains. Instead of drinking soda or alcohol, drink water and green tea. Since you are from Brasil you probably drink coffee and you may drink yerba maté. Those are fine to drink in the morning or afternoon.

You will lose weight if you do this, it will not be instant but it will happen over time.

I would not get into taking drugs, stimulants, etc. and do not starve yourself or skip meals.

Good luck!

This forum is called HEALTHY LIVING for a reason. We are all gathered to share HEALTHY ideas and experiences and not to encourage potentially harmful activities.

OP, have you found an exercise or sport that you enjoy? Perhaps try to get out and ride a bike, skip rope or walk around your neighbourhood once a day. You will be surprised how much that can help both physically and mentally.

It would be useful for you to post some examples of your diet so we can make some healthy suggestions. :)

There are a lot of fun activities that make exercising not so bad. Hiking is awesome, rollerblading is nice, bike riding is fun, kayaking is another good one. Choosing something like that and dieting a little should allow you to achieve your goal. Just try cutting one bad thing from your diet so it isn't that bad, and once you see results you will likely be more motivated to continue cutting things out of your diet, plus your increased energy may result in you doing even more exercise.

What I did was just cut down on portion size for each meal, eating until I was no longer hungry, but not full. Once your stomach shrinks then you get full easier anyways, so it becomes pretty easy to stick with smaller portions after a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.